Designer Crush: Meridith BaerAuthor:Michelle Konstantinovsky
1. Who is your biggest role model?
I really didn’t have one. Until I was 13, I lived at San Quentin Prison, where my Dad was a warden. My parents wanted me to get through college and marry well. I kept asking my Mom, “but what would I do all day?”
2. Which movie or play do you wish you could have designed the set for?
All of Nancy Meyers’ movies.
3. What is the best way to gauge a client’s personality before starting a project?
Ask them to go through books and magazines and show you photos of what they like. Ask what is the most beautiful place you have ever been? The most dangerous client is one who says, “just make it beautiful.” That can mean different things to different people.
4. What new design elements are you excited to integrate into your work?
For me the “modern look” that has been popular the last few years feels very cookie cutter. I like a mix of the old, too.
5. How do you completely unwind?
By spending time with great friends, eating great food, and drinking great wine.
6. If you hadn’t become a designer, which career would you have pursued?
Before I was a designer, I was a journalist, a screenwriter and an actor. Design is by far the most gratifying for me personally.
7. What’s the worst pre-designer job you’ve ever had and why?
I worked at a travel agency when I was in college. I was so jealous of all the trips other people were taking!
8. What’s your favorite recipe?
I call it goulash. I brown ground turkey, onions, cabbage, and carrots. I throw that in a pot with water, salt, ground black pepper, red pepper and hoisin sauce and cook it on the stove, uncovered, for an hour. I serve it in a bowl, like soup and add some shredded parmesan cheese on top.
9. Create your perfect playlist for us.
10. Who is your designer crush?
Darryl Carter and all of the designers I work with at MBH
11. Would you rather shop new or vintage?
The vintage touches are what give a room character….so the treasure hunt is what I love!
12. First celebrity crush?
I tried to win a date with Fabian when I was a little girl. I waited and waited by the mail box.
13. What’s your hidden talent?
14. Best restaurant in your area? Where is it?
Palmeri in Brentwood…I just had the most amazing white truffle and sausage pasta!
15. SF or LA?
How can you choose? They are the ying and yang!
The Container Store opens its first closet-focused location at The Grove. Once you’ve given your wardrobe the Marie Kondo treatment keeping…
- August 22, 2019
Wine Country Agenda: WALT Wines, Trefethen Now, Doug Aitken Install, Meet At La Calenda
The Pinot Option at WALT Wines New Tasting Room in Downtown Napa All WALT Wines photos by John Bedell Photography Across…
- August 19, 2019
Designer Crush: Mary Ann Schicketanz
Even after two-plus decades as an internationally practicing architect, Mary Ann Schicketanz retains the influence of her roots. The native Austrian…
- August 19, 2019